14 missionaries will be going to serve the poor. Please help sponsor them and keep them in your prayers. Financial donations can be sent to Mary Our Queen, 6260 The Corners Parkway, Norcross, GA 30092. Please write in the memo line of your check "Honduras Mission". Thank you and God bless.

Saturday, July 25, 2015

Year Two

Last year I came to Honduras and had an amazing mission, I can’t say this year has been better, but it’s been equally wonderful and God-filled. The biggest difference for me was coming in expecting the intense prayer life and looking forward to it! This changed my outlook on the week and has made me more positive.

Brother Gabriel gave a talk one night about love and said it was a great thing when we go from having to love and pray to God to wanting the relationship with him. Throughout the year leading up to my second mission I yearned for the daily mass and adoration; as Brother Gabriel said “when our desires are not satisfied they grow stronger” hence my great excitement leading up to this peaceful week where you can leave behind your worries and focus solely on your work and relationship with the Lord.
Benediction with Deacon Michael
Last year we were blessed with a very challenging work project that lasted the entire week and that is all we saw; this year there have been 2-4 things going on at any given time giving you a variety to choose from. On Monday I was able to visit the beautiful orphanage and while doing hard work, develop relationships with the kids and young adults.  Tuesday I choose to help with Noe’s new house and mixed cement, dug a sewage trench, and met a beautiful 5 year old girl named Josebelle who after introductions she showed me every piece of her school work, her drawings, and her mom’s notes. After a while we became friends and she even went to the streets local pulperia and bought me a fried soybean and hotsauce snack, and later a piece of of gum. She was a reminder from God to be thankful for my schooling and being as excited about every part of it as she was.




Friday I finally went to Doña Olga’s house and was overwhelmed by the amount of junk she has everywhere. She could be on ‘buried alive’ the show about hoarders, she has so many piles of junk. Still, throughout the day she attempted to converse with me with her best English and told us of her travels and boyfriends. She helped me to remember to be thankful for my possessions and when I return home, to clean my room.


Dona Olga  and the team working at her home
Overall this week has been even more special because of all the people I’ve met, in our mission group, the beautiful Honduran people, and my friends and family around me. I have seen their compassion, donations, love for Christ and his people, and I hope to take a piece of Honduras with me in my heart. Anne Frank once said; “whoever is happy will make others happy too.” I hope my happiness from this trip will then create a chain of happiness back in Atlanta.


God is good! 

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment