14 missionaries will be going to serve the poor. Please help sponsor them and keep them in your prayers. Financial donations can be sent to Mary Our Queen, 6260 The Corners Parkway, Norcross, GA 30092. Please write in the memo line of your check "Honduras Mission". Thank you and God bless.

Monday, July 5, 2010

A Random Moment

Dear Friends,

It's been a week since we arrived home from Honduras. It seems difficult to put into words what we experienced there. Anyway, at the last moment we had an opening to go to mission trip so Fr Dye invited two Consecrated Women of Regnum Christi (Jennifer Kelley and Sarah Gagnier)


Sarah and Jennifer

to come along with us. What a blessing for all of us to have them with us.

Sarah sent her reflection from her time on the mission trip....

When we were driving back to Comayaguas from our trip to Tela (the beach), we stopped by a gas station so that people could use the restroom. I got out of the van to stretch my legs and as I was strolling across the parking lot, I spotted four little kids huddled around the tire of a parked sixteen-wheeler.

The street children with Marybel

I approached them, asked them their names and ages. The oldest child, a ten year old girl with large, silver hoop-earrings, a pencil-width scar running from her hairline to her eyebrow and another scar- probably from a repaired cleft-lip- introduced her siblings: a nine year old boy, a five year old girl and a one year old boy (whose swollen belly and stickly limbs reminded me of National Geographic prints of kids from Somalia).

one of the children

I asked if mom or dad were nearby. "No." It was Sunday, so I asked if they had gone to Mass. "Mass is in the evening. We don't know if we will get to go."

My heart was moved that they were hanging around a gas station and parent-less, so I asked if they knew Mary, the Mother of Jesus. Their blank stares told me that they had no idea who I was talking about.

Br Gabriel and Br Miguel with children

I tried again, mentioning the name of Our Lady of Guadalupe, still blank stares looked back at me. I asked one of the missionaries nearby to get a picture of the Blessed Mother so that they could see their Mother. After a moment, Brothers Miguel Pro and Gabriel suggested that we re-enact the Juan Diego skit that we had presented at AIF the day before. In a matter of about three minutes, Marybel narrated, Brother Gabriel was Juan Diego, Brother Miguel Pro was the Bishop and I was Mary in a very spontaneous rendition of the apparition of Our Lady of Guadalupe.

Sarah and the Friars and Marybel reenacting Our Lady of Guadalupe

It was a delight to introduce the kids to a very important member of our Faith Family. I pray that those precious children understand that they have a Mother who is always with them, loving, protecting and guiding them towards her Son Jesus. I mention this story because this experience (among many) has led to the following reflection…

The humility and simplicity of life which the Hondurans and Franciscan Friars of the Renewal live brings a smile to my face and moves me to live with a greater consciousness of my identity as a consecrated soul, "set apart for God".

Sarah teaching about the Sacraments with Abby and Br Gabriel

I think Christ wanted to take me away with Him to Honduras so that He could remind me how much He loves me and wants to be my everything. I experienced a tremendous joy being still with Him in prayer and while being a Catholic "edutainer" for the Hondurans during our daily AIF adventures and other spontaneous occasions.

Sarah, Marybel and Abby with the children

The challenge that presents itself to me here in Georgia is to live more deeply anchored in the awareness of Christ's passionate love for me so that I may share that love more deliberately & freely with others.

Jennifer talking with the locals and giving them a rosary

I ask for prayers and want to thank each of the missionaries for being "other Christs" during our service together.

Sarah and Jennifer with Carol who is a consecrated woman serving the poor in Honduras

Jennifer playing guitar with her dad, John, and Br Miguel

No comments:

Post a Comment